skip to main content

New Student Enrollment



Confirm Address
Click on the link below to be connected to the Capistrano Unified School District Website, this link provides an opportunity to verify your neighborhood home school by typing in your street address.

Click Here to Confirm Your Address

Online Student Enrollment
Click on the link below to be connected to the Capistrano Unified School District online enrollment website. Complete the information and submit on website. 

Click Here for Online New Student Enrollment

Please Note – Enrollment is different than the Registration Packet.
Schedule an enrollment appointment with the Registrar by calling or emailing the Registrar @ 949-234-5997 or Please note that enrollment is not complete until the online enrollment information has been reviewed by the school.  Additional school forms may need to be completed and the proof of residency must be verified.  The school site will deem the entire enrollment process to be complete and acceptable after you meet in person with the Registrar.
 Walk-ins are welcomed, however we may need to make additional arrangements to meet with a counselor if the counselor is not available at the time of walk-in. Walk-in’s must have all necessary documents and be prepared to wait if necessary.  Students who currently have an individualized educational plan or 504 plan will need to anticipate additional steps to enroll.
Class Selection
The counselor will discuss classes and any other requirements with the student for class placement


Verification of residency inside CUSD attendance area of parent, licensed foster parent, or California Superior Court-appointed legal guardian. For initial enrollment, parent or guardian must provide two documents from the list below (P.O. Box addresses are NOT accepted)
  • Utility bill (current electric, gas or water/sewer bill)
  • Current mortgage statement or rental agreement
  • Rental agreement
  • Property tax bill
If the above-described documents are not available, the parent/legal guardian may offer other documents as proof of residence. Examples of these documents are:
  • Bank statements
  • Moving company receipts
  • Service letter from a utility company verifying residency
  • An escrow statement followed by verification of closing documents is also acceptable
Proof of withdrawal from the previous school/district is required upon enrollment (secondary only)
Proof of Age is required:
  • Official or Certified Copy of the birth record
  • A statement by the local registrar or county recorder certifying the date of birth
  • A baptismal certificate or official hospital record of birth
  • A Passport, or
  • When none of the above is obtainable, an Affidavit for Proof of Age of Minor signed by the student's parent/legal guardian may be accepted.
Proof of Immunization Records are required for certifying up-to-date immunizations for each student. Click here for an explanation of the student health requirements for school entry including TB skin testing, immunizations, and examinations. Note the new state immunization requirements for students entering Grade 7.
health checkup (physical examination) is required for all children entering first grade, however, the District encourages parents to obtain the health exam prior to or during the child's kindergarten year. The health exam will qualify if it is done 6 months prior to kindergarten entry or 18 months prior to first grade entry.
Emergency telephone numbers are required, including an out-of-state emergency number.
Other Documents and Information:
  • An academic transcript or report card from your previous school.
  • (Prior school records will be requested by the school in which your child enrolls.)
  • For Special Education students: Current or most recent IEP and Assessments
  • For GATE (gifted and talented) students: Prior test scores and/or certification forms
  • For EL (English Learners) Students: a copy of current CELDT scores, if available.


Immediately after enrollment, a Registration Packet may be provided to the student.  All required registration forms must be completed and turned in on the first date of attendance. 
All students must complete the registration forms every year. This includes current CUSD students who are automatically enrolled from the prior middle schools and SJHHS students from the prior school year of attendance. These required forms includes the following:
  • Parent Portal Data Confirmation Sheet 
  • McKinney-Vento Assistance Act
  • Migrant Education Program (if applicable)
Registrar - Ms. Fickling
 Briana Fickling

 Briana Fickling

Location: Guidance Department 
Monday - Friday
7:15 a.m to 3:45 p.m.                      
Last appointment at 3:00 p.m.
Guidance     949-234-5997            
Front Office 949-234-5900
                      949-234-9849 (FAX)
Application for the 2024-2025 School year will accepted in early 2024, please check back for posted dates

Application for the 2024-2025 School year will accepted in early 2024, please check back for posted dates

CUSD School of Choice allows families the opportunity to apply to attend another CUSD school that is not considered the neighborhood school serving the attendance area.
Families should review the information provided on the district CUSD website.  Any student approved on school of choice must consider that transportation is the responsibility of the parent/guardian.   School of Choice is only available during specific dates. 


8th grade students who attend Ladera Ranch Middle School, Marco Forster Middle School, or Shorecliffs Middle School and are in the feeder pattern to attend SJHHS due to the attendance boundaries will NOT be required to enroll with the Registrar.  Records for these students will be automatically imported into the high school.  The SJHHS Counselors will conduct the Spring course enrollment process in March to assist 8th grade students in selecting their classes for grade 9.  All students will be required to attend summer registration.


Student transferring into CUSD must meet all transfer policies. Transfer credits are accepted from accredited institutions only. 
Courses from the transferring district which are designated as honors courses WILL NOT receive honors credit  IF there is not a corresponding CUSD course of the same title with the same description.


The guidance department will provide copies of student's records in compliance with the Education Code.